Sunday 6 April 2014

Back in Wemindji - April 6, 2014

A return to Wemindji - April 6/14

For those of you who may recall I came up to Wemindji to fill a substitute teaching post in January, you may also know that in March I had to leave my post and return home to be with my Dad who had very suddenly been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  By suddenly I mean he was diagnosed in February after being hospitalized for a few weeks in Oakville.  It took a while for the doctors to determine if there was a course of action or not.  Sadly, they weren't able to offer Dad any treatment and he remained in Oakville Trafalgar in palliative care until his death on March 12th surrounded by my sisters and I.  He was 84 years old. 

I had a valuable opportunity to spend time with my Father and help him record his memoirs on tape for 3 weeks before he became too weak.  We listened to his favorite music and talked.  I also had time to visit with my sisters,  daughters and close friends.  It was an intimate time and one that many families don't experience together.  Dad was aware of his diagnosis and so we could be real with him.  He got to say things about his life. He talked to his closest friends and to his family.  I'm grateful for that time.

Following his funeral, I returned to Wemindji with a lousy cold and vertigo, a sure sign that the previous 5 weeks had been emotionally draining.  Body never lies.  However, the little students that I'd had the privilege of teaching before my sudden departure were returned to me for the rest of the month. I couldn't be happier.  I've already had a painting session and a long catch up with Eleanor and I've been reminded of how precious life is. 

 
Arriving at Wemindji airport on March 26th 

It doesn't look like spring up here with snow all around and frequent storms still - but it is sunny.  I miss the greenness of spring and the buds not to mention the warmth but I feel a new season is upon me metaphorically.  Not sure what the future will bring yet but I'm excited.  I'll return to Oakville at the end of April by car with my daughter Aidan and, of course, with my little dog Beau.  Beau had to remain here with Aidan while I was away as flying with a dog is very impractical. He's subsequently transferred his affections to her.  Although he's happy to see me and wags his tail vigorously - he has discernment and gauges who is the more dependable one.  Clearly abandonment issues!

Today Aidan took me and two teacher friends to Radisson - a village 2 hours away.  We had a nice little lunch but discovered that the lovely Native arts shop was closed.  It is the only store in town and has a vast collection of handmade crafts including rabbit fur slippers, seal skin mitts, coats, boots along with jewellery.  Although the items are expensive they are well made and original.  That was a bit disappointing but to make up for that we spotted two caribou on the road back.  What magnificent animals they are.  I am going to try to paint them this week if I can.  I'm still a learner but it's fun developing a new hobby.
                      



Anyway will blog again as soon as there's more news.  Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the real jewel was seeing the darling animals and the inspiration to paint them!
    Painting Number 1 of 'The Spring Collection'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philippa, my sincerest condolences to you and your family with your dad's passing. Thank you for sharing this emotional journey so openly and beautifully. Wishing you all the peace and happiness that you find so valuable in Wemindji - your blog is a truly special one to read.

    ReplyDelete