Tuesday 7 January 2014

First Day teaching grade 2's in Wemindji - Jan. 6, 2014

Jan, 6, 2014 - First Day of School

It's pretty dark in the mornings up here and at this time of year, there are always new deposits of snow or snow that has drifted up the driveway and steps to each house.  One has to rise a bit early to do some escape shovelling.  I'm not the primary digger due to suspect back, that job goes to Aidan, my daughter.

Tried walking my dog Beau yesterday wearing his expensive, boutique booties guaranteed to protect his little paws from frost bite and cold.  Two steps outside and he was barefooted.  When will they invent thigh high boots with straps or something?  Nevertheless we took a spin up the street for him to relieve himself and get a little stretch before Aidan and I left for school to prepare the breakfasts for the students (7:40 a.m.).  I opted to join her for this to see what was involved and get to the school early.  The students all get either cereal or a croissant with yogurt and a fruit if available.  Alternatively they will get cheese and a fruit cup along with milk.  Aidan and her colleague Monika, volunteered to prepare each class' breakfast basket, quite generous of them when I'm sure they'd much prefer to sleep in.  The breakfast program entices students to get to school on time, and have a full stomach doesn't hurt either.  It appears to be a success.   I was impressed by the large, well stocked kitchen with several stoves and fridges as well as washing machine and dryer.  Apparently this is a classroom where some of the Cree studies take place but it looks like an elaborate home economics room similar to the one I remember in my high school.  

At 8:45 we waited in the hallway for the bus to arrive that delivers many of the students to school each day.  Some are driven by parents and some walk.  The grade 2's tentatively lined up where I stood staring at me with curiosity.  I greeted them with a smile and a Happy New Year!  Still they stared.  I've noticed that the Cree people are quiet and watchful.  They don't speak loudly or quickly to strangers especially English speaking strangers.  As English is not their first language this is understandable. 

Next we walked to our classroom to take off the layers of clothes and boots to start breakfast.  With the amount of clothing we all have to wear one has to anticipate this slow process.  Nothing is done quickly remember!  Takes me back to the times my three girls were in kindergarten.  Doing up zippers, buttons, pulling boots onto the correct feet and wrapping their little faces up for the cold took forever it seemed until they learned to do it themselves.

The introductions went well.  We followed an established routine put in place by the permanent teacher.  This was their first day back after a nice long holiday and they were meeting me for the first time so I didn't expect things to zip along flawlessly.  I read them a story which apparently only I thought was hilarious about Amelia Bedelia.  Their chocolate brown eyes studied me - God knows what thoughts were running through their heads?  Perhaps, are we really stuck with this red-headed, white woman for 3 months?  She sounds funny (I've got a slight English accent even though I've been in Canada most of my life now).  Alternatively, perhaps they were thinking about recess and snack time.  Who knows?  I made a vow to myself not to over-analyze.  Go with the flow etc., etc., etc.

After lunch we did language arts, a bit of spelling and a formal Q/A time for them to ask me any questions they wished.  Mostly they wanted to know where I came from, was it near Niagara Falls? - a place some of the children had visited.  They were amazed I was Aidan's mother (cool!).  They were particularly interested in how many children I had other than Aidan, how many siblings, all about my parents and pet.  That was interesting for them and for me.  They are bright kids.  Cautious and smart.  They show no natural awe for adults.  Respect has to be earned and teachers are called by their first names. Cuddling and hugging students is perfectly normal practice, something not allowed in Ontario schools. 

Age is just a number!  I come from a long line of traditionalists who did predictable things at my age.  Stepping out of this pattern is interesting a little scary but exciting too!  I'm middle aged and feeling like a new college graduate with my life ahead of me.  It's just a perspective and now a reality.

I'm leaving now for school and let's see what surprises are in store for me?  I'm quite enjoying this new challenge.  Settling in quite well, already have a dinner invitation from a lovely teacher/counsellor at the school who looks to be a bit of an intellectual/guru.  Nice to have weekend plans.

The following are some pictures taken on the way up to Wemindji and on arrival.



Swirling snow squalls made visibility poor once we crossed into Quebec.  Salt rarely used in temperatures this low so one is basically skating along.  Didn't slow other vehicles down in the least.  These Quebecers are tough!  Hunting season prevails and no time for sissies!



 

 The convoy of other teachers that travelled with us back to Wemindji.  Long stretches of open roads without a gas station or town in sight warranted travelling in groups just in case of car problems etc.


                                                 

We packed Aidan's van with her supplies, my luggage, teaching materials, hamsters and their food and all Aidan's Christmas presents.  We still had to ship some boxes as we were short of space.  Although food is delivered regularly to Wemindji by truck, certain items are scarce and very expensive.



Beau made himself comfortable spots to sleep, sometimes on my lap and sometimes on pillows between our seats. His highness slept like a log.


We stopped frequently to stretch and let Beau have a run.  He thoroughly enjoyed these breaks as you can see and so did I. This picture was taken at a stop on James Bay Highway.  Gorgeous and pristine.



 Ahh! Tim's steeped tea.  My last one for a long time.


That's me on my first day at the school.   


Here I am in my classroom........ and the journey really begins!

Stay tuned!

2 comments: