Wednesday 29 January 2014

January 29, 2014 A blog update from Philippa

Greetings from Philippa on a cold, Wemindji night.

It's been a busy time for me up here.  The classroom teaching and preparations are demanding but keeping my interest.  I'm pretty exhausted by the end of the day.  Just enough energy to make supper, Skype with family or talk to them by phone. 

I've enjoyed my watercolour painting classes with Eleanor.  Just finished a second painting trying to capture the houses of Wemindji.  I find my work a bit crude but it's still an excellent outlet and Eleanor have wonderful chats the whole time.  There's barely a subject we haven't discussed.  She's my lifeline and inspiration.  Tomorrow night I'm attending a life skills workshop she's conducting for the Cree women.  She has great aspirations for me as a Life Coach and this workshop will be my first venture into the world of coaching.  If I enjoy it, I'm considering taking an online certificate program on Life Coaching.  I'm open to new possibilities and hope I don't lack the courage to pursue something completely different. 


 


Eleanor is an amazing Readaptation officer/ counsellor, teacher, life coach, author, artist and friend.


This past Monday there was a PED day for staff and, although I couldn't contribute anything, Iwas required to be at the school all day.  I got some work done and also enjoyed a wonderful potluck lunch with everyone.  Aidan and her colleagues Monica and Marsha (both grade 1 teachers) spend the day developing IEP's (independent educational plans) for students who have challenges.  They are an awesome group of dedicated teachers who spend hours planning each class and keeping things interesting and educational each day.  I'm impressed by the energy they all have long after the school bell rings at the end of the day.

 
 
Monica and Marsha teachers who could quit their day jobs for stand up comedy - seriously!
 

Aidan took a secret photo of me teaching the next day using the "smart board".  Technology I never dreamt of when I was in school.  Pretty neat when it works.  Each classroom has one and all of the other modern teaching tools. 



That's me standing in the middle of the frame, almost blending in with all the background.  It's a busy classroom visually.  Don't remember having anything like this when I was a 7 year old.  Lucky if we had heat and desks.  Well maybe not that primitive but you get my drift.







I read a story every morning to my students after we do the regular morning routine.  I picked a Jillian Jigs story about the antics this little creative child gets up to constantly making a mess in her bedroom as she comes up with brilliant make-believe plots with her friends.  I well remember making a tent with my blankets?  I asked the kids if they ever made up games and costumes etc., and they stared blankly at me.  Apparently another sign of the enormous generation gap.  It was akin to asking them the theory of relativity!  I feel sorry for any children who get all their entertainment from X-boxes or TV.  No wonder, learning is so difficult.  They hardly make up any games of their own, no creativity tapping here.  However we found a CD that had a bunch of children's songs on it, one's even I knew like," Itsy Bitsy Spider " and "Polly Put the Kettle on", etc.  Of course, I knew all the words and they thought I was a genius.  Heh, now you're in my territory kids!  Polly and I go way back.

Anyway, things continue to amaze me and I remain resilient.  I have adapted and that's a pleasant discovery.  Aquafit classes start on Sunday, got to counteract the comfort foods that are my all too constant companions.  Got to get back to my meditation and stretching.  The cold is hard on the joints. 

Might paint more Wemindji scenes in future as there is a demand here for them.  Apparently, some people would actually buy these little sketches of mine.  Who knew?  Here are some local houses and other scenes of interest I'm considering.  Until the next installment, stay safe and warm.

Philippa

The river is frozen at this time of the year and quite exquisite.  Working on getting some snow shoes and maybe a guide to walk me over. 
 

The sweetest little cemetery, each plot marked by a little white picket fence.

A genuine teepee, see these in many gardens,  The Crees still use them and you also see them at their hunting camps.  I'm trying to learn what takes place inside.  It's hush hush.
 
Round houses, yes interesting architecture.  Must be a pain to furnish.  They have full basements and are popular homes.  All painted in different pastel colours.  Very cute.



All for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment