Sunday 19 January 2014

News from Wemindji- Sunday, Jan. 19 2014

"When the student is ready the teacher appears"!

After a long but fairly productive week of teaching I had a rewarding afternoon with Eleanor, my new friend and mentor.  Among other things, she paints and instructs painting to anyone interested.  I jumped at the chance as I've always wanted to paint in water colour and it's been years since I picked up a brush other than to home decorate and they are not the same thing. 

Eleanor gave me the brushes, the paint and the canvas to create an evening, winter landscape that looks like Wemindji to me.  I was thrilled that it actually looks like a landscape. It's strange how we drop the creative outlets because they seem frivolous in the face of our busy lives. Wonderful having my very own coach praising every stroke and filling me up with encouragement.  This, we've decided will be a weekly activity - more often if I choose.  I'm in bliss. 

Coming to Wemindji has given me new responsibilities and much greater opportunity to explore myself.  With little else to do here, one turns inward and rediscovers old interests.  I may write an article for a native journal.  I'm turning this idea over in my mind.  I may wait a bit until I have a few more experiences under my belt. 

Tuesday evening I joined a native women's craft group and carved a soap stone Inuksuk.  It was another great evening and a rare learning experience with wonderful ladies.  The nice thing about joining groups here is the interesting conversation one has.  I sat next to the local pastor's wife who happens to be a social worker and spends time helping the youth and their families.  Apparently she is Objiwa and hails from Peterborough.  We discussed the impact of residential schools on the native culture. That conversation morphed into a political discussion around the table - right up my alley.

 My impression of the women I met there was of an open, warm, fun-loving group.  They gladly spoke to me as they knitted, stitched, beaded together.  They were most welcoming.  Needless to say, I shall be joining this lively group for their next session.  I'm hooked now. 


My first Inuksuk. Guess what everyone's getting for Christmas?


I'm on an emotional roller coaster in the classroom.  First priority is learning the material myself and teaching according to modern methods.  The second priority is managing the classroom behaviour and that's been the biggest challenge of all.  Who knew these 7 year olds had so much sass!  Cree culture doesn't particularly recognize educators as valued and therefore, one endures a little indifference and arrogance.  I think it's somewhat understandable given the history of the outsider and our affect on the Cree.  So I'm trying to practice humility and am trying to develop patience.  I'm having to be very creative with incentives and rewards to motivate them to work and listen.  This Friday for example, if the class is well behaved, we will see "Frozen" the new Disney movie.  Can't believe I'm reduced to blackmail!

On a side note, there are some little ones who are clearly starving for some attention and affection.  Issues at home seep into the classroom regularly.  I've heard of dogs eating the homework but, "Mummy was drunk and spilled her wine on my book", is a new one!   The school administrators and staff try to accommodate the most difficult situations as sensitively as possible.  I'm getting my mind opened regularly and it wasn't particularly closed to begin with. 


Anyway, I have no regrets about coming here.  I believe I have much to gain still and perhaps, give.

All for now....




 Guess what everyone's getting for Christmas presents?
The teaching is my biggest challenge obviously.  Behaviour problems occupy most of my time as I am not just teacher but social worker, mediator and referee.

1 comment:

  1. Philippa! You certainly dove into that watercolor painting experience. Your brush, loaded with paint, just swam across the page leaving a trail of forested hills and sky. I disappeared from view as you entered your own place of painterly determination and inspiration. Congratulations on your amazing painting! It is a truly beautiful work of art. Are you going to post it for all to see? Or shall we wait for Philippa's Wemindji Vernisage?

    Also, I love your warmhearted and candid writing style. What do you think about writing a Nation article about the Wemindji Sewing Circle? After all, a sewing circle is never just a sewing circle...maybe you could write vignettes about the members? I bet they'd love that. See you at school tomorrow, dear Philippa!

    ReplyDelete